Shitamachi Tendon Akimitsu @ Evolve Mall, Ara Damansara

Japanese restaurant? Which one??? Kuala Lumpur or particularly Klang Valley in Malaysia has seen the surge of Japanese restaurants recently. And we know all what is tempura, right? But how about Tendon?


 I was given the menu at Shitamachi Tendon Akimitsu restaurant in Evolve Mall and I was scratching my head looking at the menu. Mr. Jay, a friendly supervisor, came over to give me some explanation. "Oh, so Tendon is actually Tempura served with rice, all in a bowl itself" I exclaimed. As we know, Japanese staple food is rice and they eat it from a bowl. Tendon is Tempura Rice bowl, a casual traditional meal from Samurai Period. Please forgive me for my ignorance, hihik.


I received invitation to go food tasting at Evolve Mall from Openrice. Evolve Mall is a new mall in Ara Damansara, but it is actually very near Petaling Jaya. This restaurant is made up of 2 lots with one side is Shitamachi Tendon Akimitsu and the other is Fukuda Yakitori. 


Akimitsu Tanihara, under the tutelage of fifth-generation took over, enhanced the flavours and has since made the Dote no Iseya Tempura restaurant in Asakusa, Tokyo famous and popular around the world.



Chef's Special Tendon - RM67


Chef's Special Tendon is Chef's selection of the day. This Chef Special consist of 2 big Prawns, Fish Tempura, Scallop, squid, eggs, vegetables and shoga (ginger strips in red color). Notice the long curly jagged strip on top? I thought it's the tendrils of squid, but no, it is actually the bones of fish! I quickly munch it away. It is tasty and crispy but most importantly, this fried bone will give me calcium. (well, women needs lots of calcium for our bones, right?) All these tempura are placed on top of a bowl filled with rice at the bottom.


The Chef will then pour a special sauce over it. 


All the Tempura are soaked in the sauce, turning it into a darker color. Digging in, I saw the sauce went down into the rice also. Cool, now my rice won't be too dry. But after eating, I feel that I prefer dry, crispy and crunchy tempura than this soggy ones.


At first, I notice a lot of tiny bones in this fish flesh. Upon enquiring, I was told this is Anaku fish (eel). Surprisingly these bones are tiny and I do not feel anything when eating it.


Chef's Special Tempura - RM67


Chef special Tempura had prawns, eggs, scallop, oyster, shoga, vegetables and a big piece of fish. This plate can be shared by 2 person. If you want rice, then it has to be ordered for RM2 per bowl. All sets come with Miso Soup, Japanese pickles and bottomless tea. 




The above menu is for info only


Overall food is good, why? Because Shitamachi Tendon Akimitsu at Evolve Mall here is helm by four handsome, friendly, capable multinational chefs!


I like Mr. Jay's style which is a very friendly, obliging and decisive.


Akimitsu has opened branches in Taiwan and Hong Kong and very soon it will be in Philipines.

Address: 
Evolve Mall, Pacific Place, Ara Damansara
EV-G-09 + EV-G-09-AF1, Ground floor
Jalan PJU1A/4
Ara Damansara
Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TendonAkimitsu/ 

Check out Openrice for more foodie list.


Post a Comment

0 Comments