Holiday at Pulau Langkawi, Malaysia. Part 1

Holiday in Pulau Langkawi, Malaysia. Part 1

Pulau Langkawi is one of the many beautiful islands off the west coast of Peninsula Malaysia. There are a total of 99 islands with the main island Pualu Langkawi  consisting of 478.5 sq. km. There are still idyllic rural homes among jungle clad hills. Natural pristine beaches, fine sands and swaying coconut trees is synonymous in most tropical islands, but in Pulau Langkawi one can witness the wild Eagles feeding
Eagles feeding. It was raining so I was lucky to see about 8 eagles, should be about 20-30 eagles on normal days.
There are over 500 species of wild eagles and it is a common sight of eagles flying around in this island. Therefore, it is correctly stated as still not over developed by Lonely Planet . 





There are various activities available along the beaches
Personally, I am surprised to see Pantai Cenang (the stretch of seaside) become a booming area with seafood restaurants, beach bars, spas and affordable eateries. It is a big difference from the last time I was here about 10 years ago.
One of the many colorful fishes in Underwater World Langkawi
When we decided to take a holiday to Pulau Langkawi, I actually have no idea of where to stay, meaning, shall I pick my hotel location in the city or along the beach? I ended up choosing a hotel in town thinking of easy mobility and maybe more cheaper food. When I reached Pulau Langkawi, I found out that I was so wrong! Seems that there are more attracttions at Pantai Cenang than in town. 
Shops along Pantai Cenang.

Underwater World Langkawi is expansive with different types of Penguins, colorful fishes, sharks and etc.


Underwater World Langkawi is located in Jalan Pantai Cenang.
This Duty Free shop is next to Underwater World Langkawi 
I found this interesting book store along Jalan Pantai Cenang. What a gem!

There are many places of visit in Pulau Langkawi. We have to choose the places of interest wisely. More details in my second post Holiday in Pulau Langkawi Part 2. Island hopping and Coral island (Pulau Payar) is another must do. But I miss Coral island tour again this time (even though it's my third time here) as a friend of mine is not feeling well. I will try to make it on my next trip.

I went to the crocodile farm although I am not a fan of reptiles especially crocodiles. So I have to tell myself to "be brave and face your fears" while I was walking inside the crocodile farm. Well, in life we have to try to eliminate as much phobia and fear as possible. Otherwise, we will be just staying at home everyday as there is so many fearful things outside.

The vast green paddy fields along the roads.

Pulau Langkawi is situated in the state of Kedah. It can be accessible by flight and by sea (boat). To travel by boat we can disembark from Penang Island that is Swettamhan Pier, or from Kuala Kedah pier or from Kuala Perlis jetty.

Jetty in Pekan Kuah with big trolleys for tourist and locals
Local Malaysians from other states loved to visit Pulau Langkawi because it is a duty free island. Most of us will buy lots of duty free goods back especially chocolates and kitchen ware (Pyrex and Cornning ware), duty-free alcohol and cigarettes. Therefore there are big trolleys provided at the Jetty!


Ferry tickets from Penang and Kuala Kedah are available from Ferry to Pulau Langkawi

Please read related post on Pulau Langkawi: 1. Holiday in Pulau Langkawi, Part 2
                                                                       2. Food in Pulau Langkawi

Post a Comment

0 Comments